Thursday, July 3, 2008

my spinal cord is not that smart

I just finished reading a chapter in my book (In Search of the Lost Cord) that I would title..."Hey your spinal cord is smart, but not that smart."

I have always been curious about those 20/20 or other news journalism shows that do investigative reporting on new treatments for SCI. One of the treatments that has always puzzled me is what I would call the "dangling puppet" treatment. This is where they suspend the poor person from a harness and dangle them over a treadmill while researcher/therapist types gather round and make the persons legs move in a disjointed steplike fashion as the belt picks up speed. I now think I know why they are doing this...

In these cases, the brain is no longer getting its messages through the cord. It can not tell the muscles down below how or when to step. However, our spinal cords are "smart." Within the spinal cord itself scientists have demonstarted there are "pattern generators." Pattern generators are circuits of information that nature has provided us as kind of a back-up for life's most important functions--like walking, pinching, grasping. Movements that allow for our survival. When the SCI injured patient is placed on the treadmill what they are trying to do is reactivate or activate these pattern generators. Without the brain's involvement they are teaching the spinal cord how to perform a basic albeit crude walk.

Here's how the spinal cord is not so smart...it does not come with a great memory system. It's not like the brain with its limitless capacity to store and generate information. The most we can hope for from this advanced "puppet training" physical therapy are a few simple steps. NOT the miracle of walking again as smooth and effortlessly coordinated steps.

okay, maybe what i'm really trying to say is that i'm a little disappointed to know where science is at with its "advanced" therpay.

It disappoints me that after all this effort the most we can hope for are a few simple steps.

This could mean advancement in the quality of life for some but I don't think it lives up to the expectations of many. For the well-adjusted few, taking a step and landing on the toilet will feel like taking that first step on the moon. Then they will be satisfied. For the rest of us, I'm afraid the question will still remain okay but when do I/we get to run?

No comments: